Soft, chewy and easy to make using sourdough discard! Whip these Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies up using a bowl and spoon. No mixer needed! They’re pillow soft and extra chocolatey featuring chips and chunks! This recipe is vegetarian, and easily dairy free.
A Classic With a Twist
I first tried sourdough chocolate chip cookies at our local bakery a few years ago. What a delight to find this offering as I was just in the throws of learning sourdough, so my interest was piqued.
The texture was pillow soft and chewy, with a slight tang. Different from other chocolate chip cookie recipes and from bakeries I’d tried.
With my new knowledge of sourdough possibilities, I started experimenting and tweaking an old recipe to utilize sourdough discard on hand in the fridge that I otherwise use forpancakes, andbiscuits. But now (!!), sourdough starter cookies!
C O O O O K I E E E S ( ! ! )
How to Make Sourdough Discard Cookies
In this sourdough chocolate chip cookie recipe, discard is incorporated to add flavor and for practicality purposes, to use up that sourdough discard setting in the back of the fridge. Use a bowl and spoon to whip this recipe up! No mixer needed. In summary, here’s how to make this sourdough chocolate chip cookie recipe (see recipe card below for details):
- First, melt the butter and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Second,to the butter, whisk in brown and cane sugar.
- Third, whisk in the sourdough discard and egg.
- Next, mix in the dry ingredients, then add the chocolate chips and chunks.
- Last, scoop and bake.
See how easy they are to whip up?
After scooping, there’s no need to rest in the fridge unless more sourdough flavor is desired. Although at this point the cookie dough can be frozen for longer storage.
Sourdough Flavor Development
To tease more sourdough flavor from your cookies, simply rest the cookie dough in the fridge for up to three days. Do this by keeping them in the same mixing bowl, scoop then bake or scoop all the cookies and rest in the fridge between parchment paper in a covered container.
Sourdough flavor is more apparent on day three than day one.
Chocolate Chips and Chunks
This sourdough chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for chocolate chips and chunks. To create those puddles of chocolate, chop your chocolate bar into BIG chunks, about 1/2″ (1.3cm) each, so long as they fit into your cookie scoop.
I like both chips and chunks for flavor and mouth feel. Choose at least 70% chocolate for the chunks, cut from a chocolate bar, and semi sweet chocolate chips, about 60%. If preferred, use milk chocolate chips, although the cookies will taste sweeter.
A Few Recipe Notes
- Dairy Free? Yes Please!I tested this recipe with Earth Balance Buttery Sticks and it works well. Use your favorite dairy free chocolate chips and bar. I like Enjoy Life Foods and Theo Chocolate. *See recipe notes for more details.
- Freezer Friendly!我爱吃这些饼干放在冰箱里. Simply freeze after scooping on a parchment lined sheet pan. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer container. Thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then bake.
- A Note On Sugar: I useorganic cane sugarin my baking recipes. The grain size is larger than granulated sugar andmaychange the outcome of this recipe if substituted. If you try granulated sugar in this recipe, please let us know how it goes!
- Use a#40 cookie scoopto make portioning a snap! Or, portion to about 1 1/2 Tbs. each, then roll the dough into a ball.
More Sourdough Recipes to Love
- Sourdough Discard Biscuits
- Seedy Multigrain Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Oatmeal Pancakes– use discard
- Maple Oat Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- Everyday Sourdough– for beginners!
: DIY Sourdough Bread Starter using my handySourdough Starter Guide.
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 C+ 3 Tbs (235g)Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2tspBaking Soda
- 3/4tspBaking Powder
- 3/4tspFine Sea Salt
- 1/2 C+ 3 Tbs (155g)无盐Butter
- 3/4C (150g)Light Brown Sugarpacked
- 1/4 C+ 2 Tbs (80g)Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2tspVanilla Extract
- 1/4C (65g)Sourdough Discard
- 1Large Egg
- 1/2CChocolate ChipsI like 60% Semi Sweet
- 3 oz(85g)Chocolate BarI like 70% - 80% Dark, chopped into large chunks.
Set oven rack in center of the oven and preheat oven to 350F (177C). Line a sheet pan or pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a small sauce pot, heat the butter on low until melted. Set aside.
Into a large mixing bowl, transfer the melted butter. It should be warm to the touch. To the butter, add the brown sugar and cane sugar. Whisk until incorporated. To the butter mixture, add the vanilla and sourdough discard. Whisk until incorporated. Crack the egg into the batter. Whisk until smooth.
To the butter mixture, add the flour mixture all at once. Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients, folding and pressing the dough until there are no dry bits left.
To the batter, add the chips and chunks. Mix until the chocolate is evenly distributed. For More Sourdough Flavor (optional): At this point, rest cookies in the fridge for up to three days. This can be done right in the mixing bowl, covered, before scooping. Or, scoop (see below), then store cookies between sheets of parchment paper in a lidded container. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Scoop cookies using a #40 ice cream/cookie scoop and transfer to prepared pan spacing cookies at about 2" (5cm) apart. Or portion to 1 1/2 Tbs. each, then roll into a ball. To Freeze (optional):At this point the cookies can be frozen. Freeze cookies on a parchment lined sheet pan. Once frozen, transfer to a storage container and freeze for up to three weeks. When ready to bake, thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Bake.
BAKE:Bake cookies at 350F (177C) for 10-13 minutes OR when the cookies are just turning golden around the edges and the bottom is golden. Remove sheet pan from oven and set on cooling rack. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes. Transfer individual cookies to a cooling rack and enjoy. Allow to cool completely before storing cookies in a cookie jar. They'll keep for up to three days.
- Reduce added salt to 1/4 tsp. due to the salt content in Earth Balance.
- Because the dough is a bit softer, rest in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes so that the dough is easier to scoop.
- Use your favorite dairy free chocolate chips and bar. I like Enjoy Life Foods and Theo Chocolate.