A classic feel good simple soup made vegetarian! Chickpea Noodle Soup recipe comes together quick and in one pot. Full of flavor and easy to make this vegetable noodle soup will keep you warm and cozy. This recipe is vegetarian and vegan.
A Simple Soup Recipe We All Know and Love
We all know and love it. A comforting and healing soup many of us grew up on. I’d never considered homemade noodle soup until I adopted a vegetarian lifestyle. Up until that point I’d only known the canned variety, and so I started exploring ways to make a vegetarianchickennoodle soup that was reminiscent of the traditional recipe.
But the game changer in this vegetarian noodle soup recipe was in the broth. All the prepared vegetable broths I’d tried before didn’t offer the flavor or color I was after for this particular recipe. I really wanted that golden hue and rich flavor I loved from chicken noodle soup, without the chicken. Homemade vegetable broth was closer, but I rarely make homemade broth, let alone have it on hand.
How to make noodle soup vegetarian?
Omitting chicken and adding chickpeas is an easy swap. It was the broth that had me wanting. But then I tried prepared no-chicken broth. Have you tried it? I find it to bethe keyingredient to this rich and comforting chickpea noodle soup. It’s vegetarian and vegan, rich and satisfying.
Ingredients For The Soup
A pantry friendly recipe since the ingredients are pantry staples and long storage veggies, here’s what you’ll need to whip up this easy recipe (see recipe card for full details):
- Yellow Onion
- Fresh Garlic
- Dried Herbslike bay leaf, thyme, and oregano.
- 地面black pepperis a must! It adds depth and a bit of spice.
- No-Chicken Veggie Broth– I like Imagine brand because it’s organic. Find it at your well stocked grocery or Amazon.
- Ditalini Pasta– the smaller noodle size here doesn’t slip off the spoon. It’s neat and tidy!
- Chickpeas– aka garbanzo beans, use canned or home-cooked here.
- Baby Spinach– optional, but tossing in a few handfuls at the end of cooking helps us eat more greens.
- Lemon– a squeeze at the end of cooking brightens this vegetarian noodle soup.
What isDitalini Pasta?
Ditalini pasta is small pasta shaped like little short tubes. They’re a perfect addition in soups and stews where a smaller pasta is appropriate. Find it in other recipes such as minestrone and pasta e fagioli. It’s also fantastic in pasta salads!
Find more pantry friendly recipes like this Vegetarian Noodle Soup on myPressed For Time Mainspage.
How to Make Vegan and Vegetarian Noodle Soup
Pressed for time? This vegetable noodle soup recipe comes together quickishmaking it a weeknight easy dinner. In summary, here’s how to pull this simple soup together (see recipe card for details):
- First汤锅炒洋葱,胡萝卜和芹菜, just until the veggies begin to soften.
- Second, add the garlic and bay leaves, then pour in the broth and stir in the herbs.
- Third, bring to a boil, then stir in the pasta.
- Next, once the pasta is cooked, stir in the chickpeas.
- Last, warm through, then if using, stir in the spinach and give it a squeeze of lemon. Taste for salt.
I love sharing this noodle soup recipe with a big salad or grilled cheese. It’s hearty enough on it’s own too, especially with added spinach.
A Few Recipe Notes
- Freezer Friendly?Yes Please! Vegan and vegetarian noodle soup freezes with ease. Allow soup to cool completely, then transfer to a lidded freezer container for longer storage. Thaw in the fridge overnight and gently reheat stovetop.
- Gluten Free?While I’ve not tried it, I’d suggest cooking gluten free pasta separately from the soup and adding it to the soup pot after it’s done cooking. Check to make sure the broth is gluten free as well. Imagine vegetarian no-chicken broth indicates on theirproduct page, their broth is gluten free.
- The Ditalini pasta soaks up a lot of broth in this chickpea noodle soup recipe, so if you feel the soup could use more broth, add up to an additional cup.
More Hearty Soup Recipes to Love
- Smoky White Bean and Wheat Berry Stew
- Tuscan Chickpea Tomato Soup
- African Peanut Stew
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 1TbsOlive Oil
- 1C (145g)Celerysliced thin, about 4 ribs
- 1C (145g)Carrotssliced in coins, about 3 carrots
- 1/2C (60g)Yellow Oniondiced small, about 1/2 an onion
- 3tspMinced Garlicabout 3 medium cloves
- 7C (1 3/4 Qt / 1.6 Kg)No-Chicken Veggie Brothplus another cup (233g) if needed, *see note
- 2Bay Leaf
- 1/2tspDried Oregano
- 1/2tspDried Thyme
- 1/4tsp地面Black Pepper
- 1/2tspfine Sea Salt
- 1/2C (70g)Ditalini Pasta
- 1(425g)Can Cooked Chickpeasdrained and rinsed, about 2 cups
- 3-4Handfuls of Baby Spinachoptional
- Fresh Flat Leaf Parsleychopped fine
In a 4 Qt Dutch oven or heavy bottom soup pot, add the oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the celery, carrots and onion. Turn the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6-7 minutes, or until the veggies just begin to soften.
Add the garlic, stir and cook for about one minute. Pour in the veggie broth. Add the bay leaves and sprinkle in the oregano, thyme, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil.
Once the soup is boiling, stir in the pasta and cook, uncovered until al dente, or about 10-15 minutes. Stir occassionally to make sure the pasta is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Once the pasta is tender, turn the heat to medium low. Stir in the chickpeas and warm through, about 4-5 minutes. If desired, add another cup (233g) of broth. [optional] If using, stir in the spinach, adding one handful at a time. It will wilt quickly. Remove from heat. Squeeze in a bit of lemon juice. Stir. Taste for more lemon and seasoning adjustment. Add more salt if needed.
舀出汤的碗,添加一些磨的新鲜black pepper and garnish with parsley if desired.
To Freeze: Allow soup to cool completely, then freeze in a lidded container for up to a month. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then gently reheat on stove top.